Monday, March 22, 2010

Building a bed - Part 2

I woke up early this weekend to work on my bed. It's coming a long quite nicely. I did have some setbacks when I decided to change my design for the third time. I wanted the side boards to match the foot board, but that required me to widen the legs of my head board and foot board. It was a little difficult to take a part the head board and foot board, especially when I designed it not to be taken apart. It took a while, but I did it. It was crushing to see it dismantled, but worth it. That is why there is one board on the head board that is unstained. I stained the head board BEFORE deciding to change the bed. It won't look this way when I stain those boards to match.

I am nearly done. The only thing that remains for me to finish building is the trundle. I ran out of wood again. It's just missing the supports and the bottom board to hold up the mattress. I am so sore from working on the bed this weekend. I spent hours squatting to sand and drill, working out my hips, calves and definitely my arms and shoulders. Who needs to go to the gym when all they need to do is build a bed to get a workout? It's day two and I am still sore as ever. However, it was totally worth it.

Hopefully, I will have some time this coming weekend to finish up the trundle and I can start staining it. It will still need 2 coats of polyurethane with sanding in between. A must according to my dad for an ultra smooth finish. He's the expert so I will oblige. I am excited! I'll post more pictures when I am completely done!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails