Thursday, March 11, 2010

What Kids Can Say

For Christmas, I received a "Kid's Favorite Sayings" Book from a good friend of mine. It's just a blank book where I can write down the silliest and most memorable things that my kids say. I had never really thought of keeping note of it, but I think it is a fantastic idea. Here are some of my favorites.

We had cupcakes one evening. Before E takes a bite into his cupcake, he looks up at me and says, "Mom, eating cupcakes goes straight to your stomach and right to your thighs!" When I asked him where he heard that, he said, "that's what I learned in school today." I couldn't help, but chuckle. Out of all the things he learns in school, he remembers that.

I rarely do anything other than put on a simple hairpin. I decided that I would curl my hair one evening. I walked around the house with curlers in my hair. I had strands coming out and I looked horrible. Out of no where, R says, "Mommy, you simply look gorgeous." I had never heard him say that before. When I asked him why he thought that, he replied, "because you just do...I love you hair up." I suppose he thought the curlers in my hair was a hairstyle. When my sister asked him if he thought she looked gorgeous, his response..."umm..." That's my baby.

I was having a bad evening once and discovered that my husband left a drink by the nightstand. A sees the drink and decides that he wants some, but ends up spilling it everywhere all over the bed. I had just changed the linens and so I was a little upset at Dad for not following the "no food and drinks anywhere, but the kitchen" rule. The next morning, R goes up to his father and says, "Mommy was really mad last night." Mr. N says, "really, R?" R says, "Yeah, she kept saying, freakin daddy...freakin..." It sounds funnier when he uses his kid friendly voice. I guess I should watch what I say to myself from now on...

Driving home from school, R just blurts out, "Mommy, I love you so much." I look up at him and ask, "so much?" He responds, "Yes, I love you 100 times!" (that's the highest number he can count to). "How much do you love Daddy?", I ask R says, "Umm...4 times. I love Dad 4 times."

On E's birthday one year, we took him to the toy store to buy whatever he wanted. His response when I asked him to go pick something out, "Mommy, I don't need anything, I have enough." E was four years old at the time, but he never ceases to amaze me at what he says and does.

I had a bad day at work and was crying one evening. I tried to hide it from my kids, but E sees me with tears in my eyes. He asks me what is wrong and says, "Mommy, I don't ever want you to hurt," and then starts to get teary-eyed. I looked up at him and asked him why he was crying, and he tells me, "I get sad when I see you sad." He is just the most empathetic person I have ever met that his words made me get even more teary-eyed.

..and my all time favorite...just a year ago, E comes up to me and says out of the blue, "I love you Mommy forever and ever.." He always says that, but this time he ended it with .."no matter what.." Ever since then, we always say to each other, "I love you forever and ever, no matter what." There is never a reason to say it, we just say it whenever we feel like it. I am so appreciative of the love my kids have for me that I am lucky to hear those words numerous times in a day for no other reason, but because they feel it. They remind me that although kids are much younger than us, they do listen to what we say, they can feel what we feel, and they can definitely show us the love we give them. When was the last time you said, I love you to someone?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails