Monday, March 15, 2010

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

We went to see Phantom of the Opera last night. The last time I saw this musical was over 15 years ago. I was still in high school at the time. I spent my weekends volunteering at the theater in order to see free musicals. I must have seen Phantom 3 or 4 times in high school. Since I was a volunteer, I had to stand to watch the musical, but I didn't care. It was the first musical that I had seen and I loved it. It opened my eyes to the theater and I have been going ever since.

When you are in high school, you are often asked, "where do you see yourself in ten years...in fifteen years." As I was sitting in the fourth row, I thought to myself, I have come a long way. Over fifteen years ago, I stood in the back of the farthest section of the balcony in the theater and now, I am only four rows away from touching the stage.

I don't think that I could have imagine how fortunate I am today. I have a home. I have wonderful kids. I have a career. I would have to thank my parents for it all. They came to the states over three decades ago with the shirts on their back and only a hundred dollars in their pocket, but through hard work and perseverance, they basically turned nothing into something.

If you were to ask me today where I see myself in another 10 to 15 years. I guess I would have to say, I hope to see myself basically where I am today. I would be content growing old in our house that we have built, watching my kids grow up and hoping one day they will build a life of their own that brings them just as much happiness as mine brings me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails