Thursday, September 9, 2010

Repurposing a desk

I was unsuccessful in finding a simple desk with straight lines for J.'s new room makeover. When I found the right style, it was made out of particle board and looked really cheap up close. There were a few contenders, but they weren't the right size. In the end, I looked in my own home and found a desk I already had!



It is simple and it has the straight lines that I am looking for. As for storage. I wanted floating shelves. These shelves aren't exactly floating, but the silver hardware is what attracted me to them in the first place. All the frames in J.'s room were silver so it went well. It also makes the room a little more modern. Since the desk was free, I didn't mind spending the $60 for the shelves. I could have made the actual shelves, but that wouldn't have saved me all that much as the hardware is what added to the cost of the shelves.

I'm happy with the way they turned out. They are deep enough for J. to store his favorite art pieces and lego creations.



I also LOVE this orange magnet board. It was the exact color I wanted in the room so it is definitely a must have.



He can hold up his favorite papers with the white magnets and keep his desk clear of pens and pencils with the silver boxes. Magnet board is $7.99, silver boxes are $3.99 and white magnets are $2.99 for the total price of only $15.00. I think it adds functionality as well as decor to the room. I love how his new writing space turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails