Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Dividing Plants

2 years ago I planted 4 iris plants. They have multiplied so I decided it was time to divide them before they bloom this summer.



One iris plant (on the far right) is getting tangled with the palm tree. Originally, we had much larger palms, but they died 2 winters ago so we replaced it with a hardier palm. Although, they can survive colder climates, they grow relatively slow. It's crazy how one iris plant has grown and multiplied 12x.



It was no fun digging up the plants. I had to remove the rocks.



Then tear up my fabric liner. This prevents weeds from coming up. It is fabulous and totally worth it, but a pain to put down around your plants.



After I dug up the plants, I was careful to not destroy the roots. I did have a few casualties.



I planted only 4 plants 2 years ago and now I had 24. I decided to clump a couple together and the massive one of 12, I was unable to separate completely without damaging it, so it still had 6 clumped together in the end.



In the end, I had enough plants to spread through out my area.



Hopefully, they survive. I can't wait to see them bloom this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails