Monday, April 30, 2012

Maraschino Cherry Cupcakes with Almond Buttercream Frosting



My sister took me to a local cupcake store where I had Almond Buttercream Frosting over Vanilla cupcakes.  I don't like frosting and I normally just eat the cake, but I LOVED this frosting so much I ate it all.  I went back for more.  I decided I would try to make the almond buttercream frosting myself.  After all, how hard can it be?

The cupcakes turned out pretty good.  If I make the cake recipe again, I would definitely add probably 2 jars of Maraschino cherries instead of one to really bring out the cherry flavor.  As far as the frosting.  It was amazing.  This will be my go to recipe from now on.  I finally found the frosting to use for the key lime cupcakes I made a while back.  I am ecstatic. 

Maraschino Cherry Cupcakes found here.
  • 10 oz maraschino cherries
  • White cake mix
  • Reserved juice from cherries
  • Enough milk to make 1 cup liquid
  • 1 stick butter, melted
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 3 eggs
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Drain the cherries and reserve juice.  Add enough milk to the cherry juice to bring the liquid to 1 cup.  Slice the cherries in quarters.  Put the cake mix in a mixer bowl and add all the ingredients and mix until well combined.  Pour into the prepared pans.  Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean when you test the center.

 

Almond Buttercream Frosting
  • 1 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter (softened)
  • 3 cups confectioner's sugar
  • 2 1/2 tsp of pure almond extract.
With an electric mixer, cream butter in a large mixing bowl. Slowly beat in the sugar until smooth and creamy and sweetened to your liking (about 2 minutes). Add almond extract and stir to blend.   Frost cake when fully cooled. If you are not using the frosting immediately, store it, covered, in the refrigerator and then bring it to room temperature just prior to using.


This is SO good.The frosting is definitely finger lick'n good.


A cupcake with a wonderful cherry surprise inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails