Friday, April 13, 2012

Sliding Doors

Phase 1 of the club house is complete! I finished it before A.'s birthday as promised.



I added the last pieces of the sides. It was unfinished last week.



I also added shutters that close and



open



I then built a sliding door for the club house to act as shade in the afternoon. Without the door, the afternoon Southern sun made it incredibly hot.



I had to build out the top and bottom of the clubhouse for an even surface for the sliding door.



I was going to route out a groove, but found lattice fence edge pieces that were perfect. I used a piece of luan that I had left over in from my board and battan project and I finished the edges with 1" x 1" cedar pieces.



It slides perfectly. I sprayed the other side of the sliding door with chalkboard paint.



I know what you are thinking, another chalk board? We had sharing issues with the smaller board so now there is plenty space for all the kids. I also like the black color against the dark wood. It breaks up all that brown.

The last thing I decided to add was a little shelf to store the chalk and extra pillows.



In phase 2, I plan on making some curtains for that window. I may or may not close out the triangle windows at the top with working shutters.



Phase 2 will also consist of building the first floor of the club house. It will have to wait.. I've been working on this project for four weekends straight and need a little time off. I have many other outside projects to work on, but it may rain so we'll see what this weekend holds.

Looking at what I started with, I've come a long way,



but there is still more to go.



The kids have been living outside from the moment they get home from school so it has definitely been worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails